How to Bet on the 2026 World Cup
The 2026 World Cup is set to begin in June of that year. If you don’t know where to start, not to worry. We have all you need to know about how and where to bet on the World Cup in the US and the latest World Cup odds.
Best sites to bet on the 2026 World Cup
Top World Cup betting promos
When it comes to choosing an online sportsbook, the options (depending on the state) can seem endless, and it’s important to find the book that best fits your needs. Ahead, we list our top 10 sportsbooks for betting on the World Cup, with details about the welcome promotions you can claim if you sign up at them.
- FanDuel — FanDuel Sportsbook features a promotion that allows new users to bet $5 and get $150 in bonus bets if your bet wins.
- DraftKings — When you make your first deposit, DraftKings Sportsbook will provide a total bonus of up to $2,050.
- BetMGM — New BetMGM Sportsbook customers can bet $5 and get $150 instantly. Bonus bet expire in 7 days. One new customer offer only. Add’l terms.
- Caesars — New users can receive up to $1,000 on Caesars Sportsbook if their first bet loses. In that case, the promotion provides a refund in the form of a bonus bet.
- BetRivers — The BetRivers welcome bonus is a second-chance bet for up to $500 if your first bet at the online sportsbook loses.
- PointsBet — The welcome bonus on the PointsBet Sportsbook app is up to five second-chance bets for up to $50 each. The promotion applies to the first bet you place each day for your first five days at the online sportsbook, and it kicks in whenever one of those bets loses.
- FOX Bet — New users can get a bonus first bet for up to $50. Just sign up at FOX Bet Sportsbook and make a deposit to claim the promotion.
- Bet365 — Use the Bet365 bonus code and you can bet $1 to get $150 in bet credits.
- Betfred — The Betfred welcome bonus offers new users a “bet $50, get $111” promotion, along with up to $200 back on losses per week for five weeks.
- Unibet — Unibet Sportsbook offers new customers a second-chance bet if their first wager loses. The maximum varies depending on the state.
Where to bet on the World Cup in the US
Since the US Supreme Court overturned the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act in 2018, sports betting in the US has taken off. Twenty-eight states now allow sports betting in some form, and a few others have legalized the activity but it has yet to launch within their borders.
Legal states for betting on the FIFA World Cup
- West Virginia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- New Hampshire
**not legal in person
In-person sports betting
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
How to bet on the World Cup from your phone
Specific additions to the betting process may vary from sportsbook to sportsbook, depending on welcome bonuses and things of that nature. But for the most part, all of them follow a pretty straightforward process when it comes to getting set to place a bet. Follow along for details on how to bet on the World Cup right from your phone.
- Download a legal sportsbook app: Once you’ve picked your sportsbook of choice and you’re located in a state where online sports betting is legal, go to the appropriate app store on your mobile device, type in the name of the sportsbook and click “download.” Most online sportsbooks will also have download links on their mobile websites. If you want to bet from your computer, just type the sportsbook’s name in an internet search engine.
- Sign up: You’ll also need to create an account at the sportsbook. On its website, click the sign-up button and input your personal information such as your name, date of birth, Social Security number, address, etc., and the sportsbook will verify your details.
- Deposit money into your account: Once you create and verify your account, you are ready to start betting. Simply deposit money into your account. Deposit options may vary a bit depending on your state and sportsbook. After you have money in your account, find a wager that interests you.
- Place a wager: Add the wager that you want to place to your bet slip. Enter the amount that you wish to wager, and your slip will show you the potential payout. Once you confirm your bet, you’ll be good to go.
World Cup betting terminology
- Golden Boot award — This award goes to the player who scores the most goals over the course of the tournament.
- Golden Ball award — The Golden Ball goes to the best player of the World Cup.
- Outright winner — Bet on which team will win the FIFA World Cup.
- Group winner — The World Cup divides its teams into groups, with competitions first taking place between teams within each group. Sportsbooks will have odds on each team to win its individual group.
- To qualify from the group stage — After the teams in each group play one another, the squads with the two best records in each group advance to the knockout stage. Sportsbooks have odds on which teams will advance from each group.
World Cup betting FAQs
Can anyone bet on the World Cup?
Though it’s called the World Cup, you can only bet on it in the US if you are in a state where sports betting is legal (see the list above). You do not have to be a resident of that state, though, so if you live in a state where sports betting is not legal, check if the states neighboring yours are legal, and you can always go there to bet.
When does the World Cup start?
The next World Cup is scheduled to begin in June 2026, with Canada, the United States and Mexico set to share host duties.
What’s the best sportsbook for World Cup betting?
There is not one sportsbook that we recommend over all others. Various sportsbooks will have different strengths, bonuses and promotions. We recommend looking into the top sportsbooks listed above and doing your own research.
Do sportsbooks have special World Cup promotions?
Yes. Several sportsbooks will offer World Cup-specific promotions as the competition draws nearer.