NJ online casinos are live and legal with 30 apps available in the state. Virtually every game that you can think of can be found in New Jersey, including online slot machines, table games, and live dealer options. Legal Sports Report only promotes legal and regulated online casinos in New Jersey. You can find the best bonuses at NJ online casinos here as well as reviews of the top casino apps.
Best NJ online casino bonuses 2023
Best online casino in New Jersey
This list highlights the best real money casinos in NJ, reviewing each based on welcome bonus, game count, customer support, app innovation and user experience. The best online casino in New Jersey is dependent on the type of game or feature you prefer.
- WynnBet — Best for new users
- Virgin Casino — Best for bingo
- Unibet — Best for quick withdrawals
- Caesars — Best for rewards
- BetMGM — Best for live dealer
Hard Rock Casino
- NJ bonus offer: $1,025
- Mobile app rating: Apple 1.9, Android 4.4
- Top game: Bonanza
From slots to table games, live dealer to instant wins, there is no shortage of options on the Hard Rock Casino app. Players can sign up for the Rockin’ Rewards program and earn while they play in addition to a very attractive welcome bonus. The selection of video poker games lacks somewhat compared to some competitors, but Hard Rock is a great app for bettors looking to claim bonuses and special offers.
- NJ bonus offer: $130
- Mobile app rating: Apple 4.5, Android 3.8
- Top game: Wheel of Fortune
A new addition to the wide selection of online casinos in the Garden State, Bally Casino features slots, table games, and bingo. Bally’s quietly launched this new product in 2022 and has been steadily improving the offerings ever since. Bally does not offer a no-deposit online casino bonus like some other sites, but it does have a risk-free first day up to $100 for new players in addition to a $30 sign up bonus. Exclusive titles such as Fortune Temple, and a solid selection of newer games that includes Street Fighter II can be found at this emerging casino option.
- NJ bonus offer: $130
- Mobile app rating: Apple 4.5, Android 3.8
- Top game: Monopoly Rising Riches
One of the top options for casino lovers in New Jersey, Virgin offers an extensive menu of old and new favorite casino games, including Baywatch and The Wild Life. Virgin was also the first online casino app in NJ to offer online bingo. Virgin online casino has a solid menu of slots and table games with a polished online experience on the app. The downside for some may be that the list of available games is condensed to the mobile app only.
- NJ bonus offer: $210
- Mobile app rating: Apple 4.6, Android 4.5
- Top game: 5 Treasures
The opportunity to earn Caesars Rewards is a big attraction for online casino players with this app. Rewards can be accrued both online and in person and redeemed for casino games, sports betting and even online shopping. Caesar’s popular casino app also boasts a selection of more than 500 titles and various table and live dealer games. The app is known to have the occasional bug and glitch that can lead to long load times on mobile, but it is usually smooth overall.
- NJ bonus offer: $1,025
- Mobile app rating: Apple 4.7, Android 4.3
- Top game: Cleopatra
Progressive jackpots and free spin promos are among the top calling cards for BetMGM. Combine those features with a very generous first-time deposit offer and it’s no wonder BetMGM ranks among the best NJ casino apps on the market. New games like Crowning Glory and Snowflakes are available, but the overall menu is a bit smaller than some of the other online casinos in New Jersey.
- NJ bonus offer: $1,000
- Mobile app rating: Apple 4.5, Android 4.3
- Top game: 21+3 Progressive Blackjack
WynnBet’s selection of casino games stands out among a sea of mobile casino apps in New Jersey. An incredible number of popular slots are available as well as table games, live dealer games and video poker. WynnBet also has a great first time deposit offer for new users. This app certainly lives up to the rock solid reputation of Wynn Resorts.
- NJ bonus offer: $510
- Mobile app rating: 4.0 Apple, 3.3 Android
- Top game: Triple DaVinci Diamonds
An all-in-one casino app experience, Unibet Casino proves that simple can be better. Unibet offers a nice array of table games, slots and live dealer games along with solid promotions and bonuses. There isn’t a rewards program at the moment for users to take advantage of, but Unibet makes up for a lack of frills and pomp with good selection and quick deposits and withdrawals.
Full list of NJ online casino sites
New Jersey has had real money online casinos since November 2013. As such, the state has had apps come and go every year since. There are 30 online casino sites available in the state as of Jan 2023. Here’s the current list of all of the available legal options for NJ players. This list will be updated as more apps launch.
- Golden Nugget
- Hard Rock
- Mohegan Sun
- Pokerstars Casino
- Tropicana (Caesars)
Take advantage of NJ online casino sign up bonuses
The online casino space in NJ is incredibly competitive. That’s excellent news for users as NJ online casinos need to do all that they can to bring new players in the door. Bonus and sign-up offers are commonplace across the industry. Additionally, casino sites come equipped with ongoing promotions.
|NJ Online Casino||No Deposit Bonus||Deposit Bonus||Bonus Code|
|Hard Rock Casino||50 free spins + $25 free||Up to $1,000 on deposit||PLAY25|
|Bally Casino||$30 free||Up to $100 risk-free||PLAYBONUS30|
|Virgin Casino||$30 free||Loss rebate up to $100||30BUCKS|
|Caesars Casino||$10 free||200% Up to $200||FREEC10|
|BetMGM Casino||$25 free||100% Up To $1,000||PLAYNJFREE|
Let’s take a look at the most common types of promotional offers and how they work.
- No deposit bonus: Free credits to play with on site after you sign up and create an account with no deposit required.
- First deposit bonus: A match of your first deposit up to a certain amount or percentage.
- Cashback on net losses: Receive a percentage of your losses back as you play with your first deposit.
- Risk-free play: Windows of time in which you can play risk-free with losses returned as site credit.
- Free spins: New users can be entitled to some free spins on select games.
- VIP programs: Earn redeemable points and rewards based on your play.
Benefits of online casinos in NJ
Online casino gaming has been legal in NJ since 2013. The green light was given in the midst of the state’s ongoing push to legalize sports betting, a goal that wasn’t achieved until 2018.
While there was naturally an eye toward the tax revenue that would be generated for the state, online legalization was also viewed as a significant lifeline for the state’s brick-and-mortar casino industry. Since its inception to date, the online casino gaming industry has generated almost a billion in state and local taxes, most of which goes to help state education programs, responsible gambling initiatives, and the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA).
Players, in turn, have access to a regulated market that offers trusted brands as well as:
- Safety: NJ online casinos have strict rules and regulations that need to be adhered to, many of which are geared toward ensuring your funds and data are safe and secure.
- Convenience: You can play when and where you want as long as you are within state lines.
- Variety: Whether it’s places to play or games on the menu, you have a wide variety of options to choose from.
- Promotions: The online casino industry has grown to be incredibly competitive. Online casinos consistently use promotional offerings as a means to inspire loyalty. You can shop around to find the best bang for the buck.
- Integration: Many sites have direct integration with an online sportsbook in NJ, and online poker players can also find the same in some spots.
NJ online casino games
Online casino players in NJ have a wide selection of real money games to choose from. Many of the online operators offer all of the possible options and a slew of titles for each category, while others may be limited in some areas.
At most sites, there will be separate menus for all of the available categories. A few even go the extra mile with a search button for users to find exactly what they’re looking for in an instant.
- Online slots
- Progressive jackpots
- Table games
- Live dealer
- Online bingo
In terms of popularity, Golden Nugget is highly regarded for its selection of online slot games, while Borgata is often mentioned as the place to go for progressive jackpot seekers. For table games and live dealers, BetMGM and Caesars consistently receive high marks.
NJ online casino history snapshot
|When did New Jersey legalize online casinos?||Feb. 26, 2013. Gov. Chris Christie signed it into law later that same day.|
|When did the first online casino launch in NJ?||November 2013|
|How many legal online casino sites are in NJ?||30, including Golden Nugget, BetMGM, Virgin, Bally, and Caesars|
|Which games are allowed?||Poker, slots, table games, video poker, live dealer, bingo, slingo and more|
|Who can gamble at an online casino?||Anyone 21 and older. You do not have to be a resident of NJ but you do have to be physically located in the state to play. Legal sites use geolocation software to verify your location.|
Licensing, tax rates & regulations
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement oversees online casino gaming in the state. The Atlantic City casinos hold the master licenses and are allowed to share them with up to five online brands. Here’s the current list of licensees and brands operating under their umbrella.
- Bally’s: PointsBet, Bally, Virgin
- Borgata: Borgata, Party, Pala, BetMGM, Scores
- Caesars/Tropicana: Caesars, Harrah’s, 888, Wynn
- Golden Nugget: Golden Nugget, Stardust, FanDuel, BetRivers, Betway
- Hard Rock: Hard Rock, Unibet, Bet365
- Ocean Casino Resort: Ocean, BetParx, Tipico, PlayStar
- Resorts: Resorts, Mohegan, PokerStars, DraftKings, Barstool
The cost of an initial gaming license was set at $400,000. A $100,000 non-refundable deposit was required as part of the application, but the amount was able to be applied to the cost of the license upon approval. Once approved, operators are subject to the following.
- A $250,000 annual fee
- A $250,000 renewal fee
- Online gross gaming revenue is taxed at a rate of 15%
- An additional 2.5% of GGR is payable to the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority.
The annual fee is allocated toward the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey and the funding of other addiction programs. Operators need to have detailed information on problem gaming for players directly onsite, along with directions for self-exclusion and help as needed.
Contacting the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement
The NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement provides oversight of the online casino industry in the state. In a nutshell, the division makes sure that operators are on the up and up while providing protection for consumers in the event that any troubles arise.
When researching legal and safe places to play, look for the NJDGE icon. Once you click it, you should be brought directly to the division website, which is chock full of information on the rules and regulations for online gambling.
If you ever need to file a complaint, there’s a direct link on the division website that you can follow to make a report. All legal sites will also provide help desk information and a customer support line.
NJ online casino FAQ
Are real money casinos legal in New Jersey?
Yes, online casino gaming was legalized in New Jersey in 2013 and launched in November of that year. Casino players have access to 30 casino sites and mobile apps with more anticipated. The industry is considered the gold standard for online gambling in the US.
How can I be sure a NJ online casino is legit?
The legal sites have been approved to do business by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, which provides licensing and regulation for the industry. You’ll find the DGE seal or text mentioning the DGE on the app or website, confirming the site is legit. All of the sites referenced on this page are authorized to operate in NJ. Additional info on licensees can be found here.
Do I have to be in NJ to gamble online?
There is no residency requirement for playing on NJ casino sites. However, you must be located within state lines in order to play for real money. Sites and apps use geolocation tracking software to verify user location. If you’re not within state lines, you won’t be able to play on the site.
Additional resources on online casinos in NJ
For more information about New Jersey online casinos, the 2013 online gambling laws, and responsible gambling efforts, visit one of the following websites:
- NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement — Internet gaming information including permit holders, licenses, authorized sites, and more
- Self-exclusion registration — FAQs and problem gambling help for online casino play and Atlantic City casinos
- Responsible Gambling aid — Including state reports, links to national problem gambling sites and more
- NJ online gambling law — The 2013 legislation (A2578) that permitted the launch of online casinos and online poker
- Press of Atlantic City — Local news source for Atlantic City casinos, casino gambling, and more
- PlayNJ.com — A comprehensive resource of the NJ online casino industry and its history