With online sports betting in Maryland just a day away, another retail sportsbook has started taking bets.
Long Shot’s opened its retail Betfred sportsbook in Frederick on Nov. 18, according to an announcement from the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency. The sportsbook performed controlled demonstrations Nov. 14 and 16.
The opening of Long Shot’s sportsbook came less than a week before Maryland online sports betting launches Nov. 23. Up to seven online sportsbooks are expected to launch Wednesday.
Long Shot’s MD sportsbook
Long Shot’s announced its sports betting partnership with Betfred in July. The announcement said a permanent, 8,800-square-foot sportsbook will open after the new year.
Long Shot’s is one of the 17 entities the Maryland lawmakers named for an automatic license in their legislation. Long Shot’s was one of three sportsbooks to tell the MLGCA it would not be ready for the Nov. 23 online launch.
“We are proud that Long Shot’s is one of the premier off-track betting locations in the state and we look forward to achieving similar success with sports wagering,” Long Shot’s CEO Alyse Cohen said. “Long Shot’s will not only boost the local economy but contribute to enhancing the education of our students.”
Long Shot’s also has a second location qualified for a retail sports betting license in Hagerstown. The company has not announced when that sportsbook will open.
Retail sportsbooks running in Maryland
The five initial retail sportsbooks in Maryland were:
- MGM National Harbor (BetMGM)
- Live! Casino and Hotel (FanDuel Sportsbook)
- Horseshoe Casino Baltimore (Caesars Sportsbook)
- Ocean Downs Casino (TwinSpires)
- Hollywood Casino Perryville (Barstool Sportsbook)
Rush of new retail sportsbooks
Those first five retail sportsbooks have taken a bulk of the action since Maryland sports betting launched. Since Aug. 1, however, four books, including Long Shot’s, have opened.
The other retail sportsbooks are:
- Bingo World in Brooklyn (BetRivers Sportsbook)
- Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County (PointsBet)
- Greenmount Station in Hampstead (Parx Interactive)
There are two others retail sportsbooks preparing to open:
- Chesapeake Gaming in Boonsboro
- Maryland Stadium Sub in Landover (Washington Commanders and Fanatics)