Mobile Florida Sports Betting Live As Hard Rock App Launches

Posted on November 1, 2021
1
Written By on November 1, 2021

Florida sports betting is now live after the Hard Rock Sportsbook app started taking bets Monday.

The news was first reported locally and confirmed by the Hard Rock Sportsbook Twitter account.

Florida sports betting launch details

Sports betting in Florida could have started Oct. 15 through the renegotiated gambling compact between Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Seminole Tribe.

That did not happen, though the Seminole never confirmed whether the two-week delay was for operational or legal reasons.

Now though, Hard Rock Sportsbook is pushing ahead with its new app.

What to expect from new Hard Rock Sportsbook app

LSR understands via industry sources the product was developed on top of source code purchased from Amelco. Amelco also underpins Fox Bet.

It appears to be mobile-only at present, with the website directing customers to download the app.

Hard Rock Digital (HRD), which will run online gambling for the tribe, teased some product shots on social media.

Hard Rock Digital is run by former Stars Group execs including:

  • Rafi Ashkenazi, Executive Managing Director and Executive Chair
  • Marlon Goldstein, Executive Managing Director and CEO
  • Matt Primeaux, Executive Managing Director and President

Pari-mutuel marketing partners

Last week, Hard Rock announced it signed up five pari-mutels as marketing partners.

Those partners will get 60% of the profits they bring in to the Hard Rock Sportsbook app. The tribe keeps the remaining 40%, as the terms of the compact dictate.

Retail betting is also on the way, though a timeline is unclear.

Legal uncertainty remains for Florida sportsbooks

Under Florida’s gambling compact, Hard Rock and the Seminole Tribe essentially have a monopoly over Florida sports betting.

However, courts have still not decided if it is actually legal. Another pari-mutuel group is challenging that in a Washington DC court.

In addition to the legal dispute, external operators like FanDuel and DraftKings are also looking for ways into Florida. Those companies filed a ballot initiative to put statewide mobile sports betting up to voters in 2022.

Brad Allen Avatar
Written by
Brad Allen

Brad has been covering the online gambling industry in Europe and the US for more than four years, most recently as the news editor at EGR Global.

View all posts by Brad Allen
Privacy Policy