Betting on horse races is legal in much of the United States. In the age of the internet and mobile devices, that often includes online wagering.
Best legal horse betting sites and apps for 2018
Here is a look at some of the best online horse betting sites and apps, and how to get your money online. Many of these are PayPal betting sites.
- RACING SITES
- Creating an account: Creating an account takes just a few minutes. You must give your name, address, phone number and birthday, while also making a password for your account. You will also need to provide the last four digits of your SSN.
- Depositing: Options about for depositing, including PayPal, TVG BetCash (for directly depositing from your bank account), credit/debit cards, TVG pre-paid card, MoneyPak, PayNearMe, check or money order and wire transfer.
- Withdrawing: Once you have funded your account using one of the methods above, you can usually get your money back the same way.
- Betting online: You can bet via the website, or just download their app from the App Store. There is currently no app for Android, but the site is optimized for mobile. The full range of straight and exotic bets is available for bettors. You can also do your research right on the site or in the app for almost all races. Because it’s TVG, you can also watch many races online via the TVG website.
- Rewards program: Users get points for each bet, with which they can later use for wager credits.
BetAmerica is another trusted US-based wagering platform headquartered in Kentucky.
- Creating an account: Most of the standard information is required, including a username and password. You’ll need to enter your birth date and the last four of your SSN to complete registration.
- Depositing: Options for funding your account include credit card, TeleCheck, MoneyPak, Neteller, PayLucky, PayNearMe and prepaid cards.
- Withdrawing: You can withdraw via TeleCheck, Neteller or paper check.
- Betting online: You can play via browers or iOS. There is currently not an Android app, but the site is optimized for mobile use. A variety or races can be watched right on BetAmerica’s website or app. The full range of betting options and handicapping tools that almost all sites feature are available here.
- Rewards program: User earn points for wagers, which can later be leveraged to bet on races.
TwinSpires is one of the most trusted horse racing apps in the business. It is the official betting partner of the Kentucky Derby.
- Creating an account: Creating an account is a relatively easy process. You will need to give your name, address, your birthday and the last digits of your Social Security number. Then you will need to choose a username and password. After that, your account will be active and ready to fund.
- Depositing: There are various methods to fund your account, including directly via your checking account, a credit or debit card, EZMoney, PayPal, PayNearMe, MoneyGram or Green Dot @ The Register.
- Withdrawing: When you are ready to cash out, you can get your money via PayPal, EZMoney or check. You can also withdraw via some select racetracks and OTBs. See TwinSpires’ website for details.
- Betting online: You can wager via a browser, a mobile-optimized site, or via the Twin Spires betting app on iOS or Android. Twin Spires offers all the normal betting options, plus all the exotic wagers you would find at a track or an OTB. Here’s a video on how to bet on the website:
- Rewards program: Each wager placed at Twin Spires gives players points that they can use for wagering credits.
DRFBets is the betting platform of the Daily Racing Form, one of the most trusted sources of information in horse racing.
- Creating an account: You’ll find the basics here: Name, address, phone number, username and password. You’ll also need to create a four-digit wagering pin and give your SSN.
- Depositing: Getting money online is easy. Options include credit card, check, wire transfer, PayPal, PayNearMe or Xpressfund.
- Withdrawing: Users can get their money off DRFBets by using Xpressfund, credit or debit cards or wire transfer.
- Betting online: You can bet online via DRFBets’ website, or down its easy-to-use app for either iOS or Android. The app allows you to place any bet you can imagine (or that would be available at your local track). There are a variety of handicapping tools available.
- Rewards program: You can earn anywhere from 1.5 to 5 percent cashback once you bet $1,000/month. There are also lots of other goodies for regular users.
NYRA Bets is a production of the New York Racing Association that is available around the country.
- Creating an account: Name, address, phone number, birth date and SSN are all required. You also need to create a username, password, and a PIN for using at tracks.
- Depositing: Options include Express Funding to link your bank account, credit card, PayNearMe, at some tracks, by mail or by wire transfer.
- Withdrawing: Most of the same options can be used to withdraw, once they have been used for a deposit.
- Betting online: Bets can only be placed online or via mobile browser; there is no app. Beyond that, though, NYRAbets offers the full range of straight and exotic bets any experienced better would expect to find.
- Rewards program: Users get points for each bet, with which they can later use for wager credits
Where can you bet on horse races online in the US?
Betting on horse racing online or via a mobile device is not legal in every state.
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Where and how you can bet can vary by state, but some apps serve all of these.
Apps and websites operating in these states often allow wagering on races across the country and even internationally.
How is it legal?
The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) has a carveout for horse racing. That leaves it up to the states whether they want to legalize online wagering on horse races.
Anywhere the platforms above offer wagering, state laws have been enacted to allow for online wagering and/or horse race betting apps.
Watching horse racing
When you place horse race bets online, you probably want to watch them too. Luckily you have several options other than going to the horse tracks themselves or off-track betting parlors.
Many of the featured sites and apps above offer live feeds of races right on their platforms. You can also get TVG via cable, where offered.
Virtual horse race betting
If there are no real races going on, you can also wager on virtual horse races. These are races simulated by a computer program, and bettors can still wager on the outcome. More on virtual sports betting.
Unfortunately, this is not offered in the United States, although some casinos — both land-based and online — could offer this in the near future. Wagering on virtual horse races is more common in Europe and other regulated markets internationally.