Update: The suspension of NBA and college basketball has led to the cancellation of DraftKings’ Spring Tournament.
In the meantime, DraftKings announced a new $400,000 GTD Online Fantasy League of Legends Championship. Here are the details:
- Date: Late May/Early June (Official date to be announced shortly)
- Total Prize Pool: $400,000 (Most-ever for LoL contest)
- Winner’s Share: $100,000 + ticket to 2021 Fantasy Tournament of Champions ($25k value)
- Buy-in: $555
- Satellites: Yes
Find out more or buy-in for the 2020 LoL Fantasy Championship here:
DraftKings has been awarding big prizes via daily fantasy sports contests for years. Now, it’s crowing a champion of both DFS and sports betting through its DraftKings Championship Series for 2020.
Big DFS events are, of course, nothing new. DraftKings has been running “live” DFS championships since nearly its inception.
Fantasy players would qualify for competitions that awarded millions of dollars at live events occurring in Las Vegas, Miami and elsewhere. These tournaments have paid out more than $100 million in prizes.
This year, DraftKings is offering a yearlong competition, which includes a trio of championships for sports bettors, and just in time for March Madness.
Read on to learn more about the 2020 DraftKings Championship Series.
The 2020 DraftKings Championship Series
The DraftKings series includes more than 40 events across DFS and gambling. Here’s how it breaks down.
DraftKings sports betting championships
DraftKings Sportsbook has been one of the early leaders in the US market. Whether DFS is your thing or not, there are multiple sports betting tournaments this year:
- DraftKings Sports Betting Spring Championship
- DraftKings Sports Betting Fall Championship
- DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship
The winners of the first two events will qualify for the national championship; however, there will be several ways to get in on the big finale.
In 2019, the inaugural national championship ended with some controversy. We anticipate that DraftKings has likely learned from the shortcomings of that event.
DraftKings’ fantasy tournament of champions
In all, DraftKings is planning 41 major DFS events this year, many of which will likely offer a top prize of $1 million or more. Events include:
- Thirty “millionaire” DFS contests
- Five online fantasy championships
- Five live fantasy championships
These events will serve as feeders to the final live event held during the 2021 Super Bowl.
Qualifiers via those 40 events will travel to the big game in Tampa, FL, for a shot to win $1 million in a single-game fantasy event.
How do I play in the DraftKings championships for sports betting?
Currently, we only know the details for the DraftKings Sports Betting Spring Championship (DSBSC). Information on the fall and national championships are yet to be announced.
Even if sports betting isn’t yet legal in your state, you will be able to get in on the action.
We know a lot about the spring championship, which takes place during the opening week of March Madness, aka the NCAA men’s college basketball tournament.
- Date: March 19-22
- Where: Weehawken, NJ. DraftKings offers online sports betting in New Jersey.
- Prize: It features $1.5 million in guaranteed prizes, though it could be even bigger, depending on the number of entries. The top prize is $500,000; three other contestants will win at least six figures.
- How to Enter: You can enter via direct buy-in ($5,000) or by a DFS qualifier.
DraftKings Sports Betting Spring Championship
If you don’t want to plunk down $5K to enter, you’re in luck. You have a chance to join the championship without buying in.
DraftKings is offering regular qualifiers via its DFS platform, sometimes for less than $100. The most likely ways to get in are NBA contests, which have a maximum of 100 entries and an $88 entry fee.
The winners get to go to New Jersey to play for a lot of money.
The qualifiers will receive a $5,000 buy-in, plus a hotel room for four nights and $1,000 in travel expenses.
How DraftKings Sports Betting Spring Championship works
There will be some rules to follow if you enter the championship. At its core, the contest is simple:
- Contestants start with a $2,000 bankroll. You must bet at least $1,000 over the four days of the event. Of the $5,000 entry, $3,000 is reserved for the contest itself.
- You can only wager on NBA and college basketball games, which includes March Madness betting.
- If you have one of the highest final bankrolls, you’ll go home with an additional prize of $500,000 or more. No matter what happens, you get to keep your final bankroll.
While you can place bets anywhere in the state of New Jersey, DraftKings will host a “VIP Sportsbook Venue” in Weehawken, where the basketball games will be televised.
Here are the top prizes:
- Winner: $500,000
- Second place: $250,200
- Third place: $150,120
- Fourth place: $100,080
- Fifth place: $75,060
- 6th-7th places: $50,040
- 8th-10th places: $35,028
- 11th-15th places: $20,016
- 16th-20th places: $14,011.20
- 21st-25th places: $10,008
DraftKings Sports Betting Fall Championship
We presume its fall sports betting championship will be similar in format and also likely held in New Jersey. But those details are still being ironed out.
The DraftKings fall championship will likely occur during an NFL and college football weekend, and it might have an even bigger prize pool. You should also be able to buy into the event directly for $5,000.
Furthermore, DraftKings will have more time to market the event and allow people to qualify.
DraftKings Sports Betting National Championship
We’re not sure what DraftKings has in store for the big finale. But seeing as this event is called the “national championship,” it should be even more substantial than its seasonal variants.
It seems likely that the event would be during a football weekend, but it’s not clear if that would be during the NFL regular season or in January when the college and NFL playoffs are going on.
We’ll also guess that the winner will receive more than $1 million.
Can I take part in the sports betting championships if sports betting isn’t legal where I live?
Yes, you can. It’s open to those 21 years or older in the US.
Though, you must be within New Jersey’s state borders to wager and to take part in the DraftKings championship. Sports betting is legal in New Jersey. Also, you will need a DraftKings Sportsbook account to be a part of the action. You can bet via the DraftKings app from your iPhone or Android device, or via a browser.
The sign-up process is relatively easy, but DraftKings will need some personal information to verify that you are who you say you are and of legal age.
The DFS championship series at DraftKings
The DFS part of the championship series is available to much of the country; DraftKings serves more than 40 states. Here’s a look at where DFS is legal.
There will be more than 40 events, but the details are still being hashed out for many of them.
So far, we have information on these events:
- The 2020 Fantasy Hockey World Championship live event (already complete)
- The millionaire contest for the Players Championship (March 12, $2.25 million guaranteed)
- The 2020 Fantasy Basketball World Championship live event (March 21, Weehawken, NJ, $4 million guaranteed)
There will also be baseball and football world championships that take place as live events.
The winners of those events will punch their ticket to the Super Bowl event for a chance at another big prize pool.
The DraftKings Super Bowl fantasy championship
Details on the finale of the fantasy tournament of champions at DraftKings are not yet released.
We do know a little bit about it and can make a few guesses:
- The event will likely be structured as one of DraftKings’ “showdown” contests. That means contestants will pick players that will play in the Super Bowl to compete on a DFS roster.
- The top prize is $1 million. There should be some huge prizes for the other top finishers as well.
- DraftKings is the official daily fantasy sports partner of the NFL. That should mean that the participants are in store for quite an experience at the Super Bowl.
We’ll have more details as DraftKings releases them.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
Eligibility Restrictions apply. See DraftKings.com for details. Sportsbook: 21+. NJ/WV/PA Only.